You’ve found us! … do stay for a while and have a browse around! You can explore using the pull-down menus (above) or the search box (below).
For many, opera performances are ephemeral and transitory: the curtain rises, the performance takes place, the curtain falls there is applause and there it ends. But the aim of this web archive is to compile and preserve all there is of the rich performance history of live opera in Ireland.
During 2021 we’re continuing to add large amounts of archival material to this site (programmes, photographs and press cuttings will be added chronologically* – along with recordings where these exist) – so what you will see unfolding is a “work in progress” – and it will undoubtedly remain so. YOUR contributions and corrections are both welcomed and encouraged to help ensure that this tale is told as accurately as it can be...if you can’t see it then the chances are that we don’t yet have it but would love to add it.
So browse – download – listen – read … but above all, contribute if you can! We’d love to give a permanent home to all memories, photos (formal or informal – onstage, backstage or front-of-house), recordings, press clippings, reviews, anecdotes and recollections – yours, your parents’ or your grandparents’….
Oh, and do write to us – we’d love to hear from you!
A short history of DGOS/Opera Ireland 1941-2010
WEBSITE PROGRESS REPORT (updated when changes or additions are made):
- * – as of 16th June 2021:
- all of the surviving Dublin Operatic Society (DOS) archival material has been uploaded.
- Extracts from “Love and Music: The Glorious History of the Dublin Grand Opera Society” by Gus Smith (1998) have been added where appropriate.
- Pages listing Dublin Grand Opera Society (DGOS) seasons have been populated – chronologically – with all of their surviving archival content (press cuttings, programmes, etc.) up to and including the Spring 1971 season (excepting the press coverage of the Spring 1963 season which awaits scanning); as well as the whole of 1973 and 1974.
- Programmes and Season Guides have also been added for most of the other seasons.
- Many additional production photographs and backstage photographs and recordings from the 1970s and 1980s continue to be sprinked in, as and when time permits where appropriate, throughout the years covered by the DGOS.
- Comprehensive uploading will continue as time permits – much material still remains to be uploaded from the archive.